Norse Cask Glen Grant 40yo

More
16 years 7 months ago #12751 by MacNiels
Serge fra whiskyfun.com har smagt på endnu en Norse Cask aftapning:

Glen Grant 40yo 1965/2006 (52.5%, Norse Cask, hogshead #QW 1611, 83 bottles)

Colour: pale gold. Not a heavily sherried old Glen Grant for a change.

Nose: what's quite amazing is this one's freshness at 40 years of age. It smells like young whisky! Quite powerful, just short of being spirity, starting on orange squash, tinned pineapples (really unusual in such old whisky), green tea, various sorts of herbal teas (rosehip, chamomile) and a little wax. Gets then more and more complex, with quite some waxy/honeyed notes first, and then notes of ashes, stones and metal. Gets finally quite lemony and even a little grassy. I'd have never said this one is 40yo, never! Mouth: what strikes first is the wood now, with loads of spices (white pepper, black pepper, green curry) and quite some tannins (some green). Quite hot, unexpectedly raw and sharp, grassy"¦ And very lemony again (including the skins). I feel I should add water despite the ‘PC' strength"¦ (while the nose is more on shoe polish and metal polish now). With water: it's the waxiness that stands out now, walnut skin, apple skin, crystallised citron"¦

Finish: it's long, smoky, waxy and lemony like a true highlander from the north. In short, nowhere near most 40yo Glen Grants I know but certainly excellent. Just very different! I'd really like to know how many other whiskies this cask had held before. 90 points.

Niels Ladefoged
Whiskynyt.dk

Please Log på or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds