Spørgsmål til Misako Udo

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #7936 by MacLars
Vi vil godt puste lidt liv i et gammelt tiltag på whiskynyt.dk: "Spørgsmål til eksperterne". Det drejer sig om at vi her i forum finder frem til en række spørgsmål vi godt kunne tænke os at stille en ekspert/guru/aftapper mv. Når vi har fundet frem til nogle gode spørgsmål bliver disse stillet til "eksperten", og tråden afsluttes med eksperternes svar på spørgsmålene.

Eksperten vi denne gang har fået bragt på banen med hjælp fra MacChristensen er Misako Udo.

"This is North Scotland" August 2005, giver en lille introduktion:

Misako Udo was so smitten by the aura of Scotch whisky as a teenager in Japan that she travelled halfway round the world to live in a strange country where she didn't speak the language and in which she knew no one, just to be close to its origin.

Misako's extraordinary knowledge has its roots in her native Nagasaki when, as an 18 year-old, she tasted her first whisky - a dram of White Horse, incidentally. It was a seminal moment and whisky has fascinated her ever since. She says she always wanted to travel to Britain and to learn English, but that first taste sent her on her way not to London, like so many of her compatriots, but to Edinburgh.

She said: "When I arrived here in 1988, people were very much better than I expected. I couldn't speak English, but everyone was very friendly and helpful."

Undaunted by her strange environment, she began to work as a tour guide and has now been a member of the Scottish Tourist Guides Association for 15 years, working with Japanese visitors to Scotland. She is not stupid; she chose that career knowing full well she would be paid to visit many distilleries and have the opportunity to learn about whisky and its manufacturing. Now, she has guided everyone from ordinary tourists to whisky-industry professionals and got to know more whiskies than she ever thought possible.

Working as a guide and taking people to distilleries, she began to build up notes on the almost mystical processes behind the magic. She was methodical in her approach, and her knowledge soon began to outstrip even that of seasonal staff working in distilleries that welcome thousands of visitors each year. They began to come to her for advice on technical matters and she was often asked to photocopy her notes for others.

She has been here 17 years and cares so deeply for Scotland that she has forsaken her Japanese passport and become a naturalised British citizen. She will talk whisky at any hour, but there is one piece of information she will not disclose - the name of her favourite malt.

She said: "My personal opinion is not important; I am just an ordinary enthusiast.

Misako Udo har udgivet en ualmindeligt detaljeret bog om skotske destillerier - som Royal Mile Whiskies skriver om den:

"Want to learn about Mucklewartle Distillery? Can't sleep without knowing the capacity of Caledonian Grain Distillery's underback? Then this is the book for you. Simply presented in list format, Misako Udo's book is a frighteningly comprehensive list of operational and closed distilleries and must represent years of determined work...well done!"

Oplysninger om bogen:

# Paperback 480 pages (July 2005)
# Publisher: Distillery Cat Publishing
# Language: English
# ISBN: 0955062209

Skriv dit spørgsmål, og om et stykke tid vil disse blive sendt til Misako Udo, svarene vil naturligvis blive lagt i denne tråd.

Det vil være en fordel hvis du stiller dit spørgsmål på engelsk.

Please Log på or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #7939 by ivar
Replied by ivar on topic Spørgsmål til Misako Udo
Is there any interesting written information on the labels of Nikka's products (Yoichi etc), that is not translated into english? In case there is, what does it actually say, e.g. on the Yoichi 10 OB 45 %?

Ivar Svensson
Oslo, Norway

Please Log på or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds